with Rum Hard Sauce
- 5 eggs 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 10 slices (approx. 1 lb) day old sweet bread, Portuguese brioche, challah
- 2 cups raisins soaked in Goslings Black Seal Rum
- Sweetened coconut, lightly toasted for garnish (opt.)
In a stand mixer or by hand, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the milk, heavy cream, and vanilla. Lower the speed and add half the cinnamon and all the nutmeg.
Generously butter a 9-inch square pan and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. and 1 cup of the soaked raisins. Shingle on a layer of bread slices and 1/2 of the custard mixture, pressing gently so it soaks in. Repeat the sequence of cinnamon, raisins, bread, custard once more ensuring the bread is well soaked. Sprinkle the top with additional cinnamon. Cover the pan with a sheet of lightly buttered heavy duty aluminum foil.
Place the pan in a larger pan filled halfway with hot water. Bake in a 300ºf oven for approximately 90 minutes or until internal temperature is 160 degrees F. Immediately sprinkle with toasted coconut (optional)
Goslings Black Seal Rum Hard Sauce
Makes about 1 3/4 cups
- 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 4 tbs Goslings Black Seal Rum
- 1 tbs tangerine or orange peel, grated
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Stir brown sugar and 3 tbs Goslings Black Seal rum in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Mix in tangerine peel. Cool to room temperature. Beat together butter and powdered sugar. Combine with Rum sugar orange. Chill.
Photo Credit: Eva L. Baughman